Fighting your way to the top of the SERP (search engine results page) isn’t an easy task. It’s a balancing act that’s constantly changing and evolving. You need to keep up with trends and stay up to date with technology, to ensure you’re visible to your customers. After all, the whole idea of getting your website online, is for people to see it right? But there’s a new(ish) kid on the block that could be the answer to getting your website closer to the top of the coveted Google page 1. Voice search.
What is voice search?
Voice search is technology found in our smartphones, laptops and smart speakers that allows us to search online using just our voice. This tool makes searching for anything and everything even more convenient and as a business, you need to capitalise on that. Voice search has become so popular that we don’t bat an eyelid when we hear people say ‘Hey Google’ or ‘Alexa’ whilst sitting on the sofa or doing their weekly shop.
How can I optimise my website for voice search?
By optimising your website now, you’re putting yourself at the front of the pack and getting ahead of the game. Customers want the answer in as few clicks as possible, so having a clear and impactful voice search strategy will ensure your website is getting the attention it deserves.
Here are a few tips to maximise your exposure in voice searches:
- The most common keywords in voice searches are ‘what’, ‘how’ and ‘best’. By adding a FAQ page that directly answers the questions people are asking, you’ll increase your voice search SEO.
- We generally use more causal vocabulary when speaking than when we type, so take this into consideration when you’re creating online content.
- Try to use more generalised questions that aren’t too specific to your business, but will be commonly search for in your field.
- Write consistent and relevant blogs that are conversational, feature longer keywords and use more relaxed language – and don’t forget to share them on your social media!
- Link your content with videos and images, so your customers can see what they’re searching for.
Snippets are your superpower
As an SME, you may not currently be ranking first in the search results and that’s OK. It’s a competitive world out there – so you need to work smarter, not harder. Traditional SEO tactics simply won’t cut it, but what you can do is try to appear as a featured snipped. This is what is seen at the top of the search page above the first website result, and often directly answers the users question or query. Using bullet points and concise language will all help your business obtain a featured snippet for a specific search, making your website first in line.
Get in touch
The way people search is changing, so your website needs to change too. We’re currently offering a free website audit, so you can get an idea of how your website performs so we can help you improve it. To take advantage of this offer, or to find out more about how to improve your voice search SEO, give us all call on 0121 573 0233 or email [email protected]